Wednesday, March 30, 2011

WebEditor - Web server based text editor

I do most of my coding during the many quiet spells at work. As you'd expect we can't install software on our work PCs so I don't have the luxury of being able to use an IDE.

In the past I have used a browser based ftp client such as net2ftp.com to download the file I'm working on, modify it in Notepad and then upload it for testing.

I then came across WebPad (http://dentedreality.com.au/projects/webpad/) which allowed me to modify the files making up my web sites / applications directly on the server. However, it does not like having multiple instances open at the same time which caused me a few problems when I first found out. When working on a web app it is helpful to be able to have the HTML / Javascript / PHP / CSS files all close to hand.

As such, I started work on an ExtJS based, tabbed, web server housed, text editor.


I will aim to put updates here as I reach definite milestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment